March 30th, 2015
SAC (Saybrook Activities Committee)
· Viva’s night took place last week.
· Working on securing volunteer opportunities for this month.
· Turning the Dark Room into a gym annex.
o (Across from Computer Room)
o Dark Room made in a renovation in 2001
o Nobody has really used it in 4 or 5 years.
o Talked to donor that made that room possible.
o Will make it a second part of the gym – we need to consider what new equipment we want, which old things to keep, etc.
o Danielle will be participating in this endeavor.
· Treadmill and elliptical in the gym is working.
· Already turned garbage room into a music room.
· Laundry room update: laundry machines are frequently broken.
o Master’s Office is not involved in repairing those.
o Contracted out to third party.
o Most efficient way to get help: call the 1-(800) number on the machines.
o They are very quick to respond – just need to call!
o Will donate clothes that have been lying around. They will be donated to charity, so get clothes you have been neglecting from the laundry room by Tuesday night!
o Also, Mary Beth has 3 large bags of clothes that were left in the machine during break or previous semesters. E-mail her if you would like to take a look at the clothes. Otherwise, she will donate them to Spring Salvage.
· IM A-Hoops and B-Hoops teams played in semi-finals today.
· First spring game today. Won first softball game against TD!
o Danielle was the one who showed up and allowed us to play.
· IM athlete of the week will be reinstated – look out for pictures in the hall.
· Hudak points will be made a thing again. Players will be expected to tell the IM secretaries which sports they played in.
· It seems that someone has been stealing the IM sheets from the Common Room.
o Curse? Facilities? A thief?
o Brainstormed potential ideas for avoiding this issue – potentially putting the information on a computer or creating a Google Form.
· Had a meeting to talk about potential sustainable changes.
· Big announcement: if your bathroom is a switch light and you would like it to be motion-sensored or vice-versa, let Ihna know. (i.e. for religious purposes)
· Earth Hour at the 12-pack last Saturday went successfully.
· Big event on Friday: waste audit in the courtyard around 1p.m.
o People in giant white suits will sort through Saybrook’s waste to make sure recycling is happening properly.
o Will be having ice cream (tentatively)…will be a social event where you watch other people go through your trash.
· FYI: electronic trash can be disposed in the Computer Room or given to the Student Techs at Bass.
· No one was deserving of Sustainable Star of the Week.
· Master-elect Thomas Near now follows Saybrook College Council on Twitter.
· Professor near signed up for IM softball.
Saybrook Historical Society Committee
· In 1956, students began registering electronic refrigerators.
· Order during meetings is not necessarily in line with the Saybrook Constitution!
· Well underway…open houses have been held.
· Sophomore housing took place last week.
· Rising senior housing lottery is this week, rising juniors to follow next week.
· Questions should be sent to Aaron or Joohee.
· Open house this Thursday.
· Closing time for YCC.
· Elections are next year.
· If anyone is interested in running for Saybrook representative, feel free to reach out to Magda or Chadd.
· Mental Health Forum: meeting on Thursday morning to go through the report.
· Saybrook curse? What is to be done? Michael thinks we should take action.