September 14, 2015
Master and Associate Master’s Report
· New operations manager – Micah Luce. He has a PhD in Early Christian Philosophy.
· Apple picking and apple crisp bake-off are to come! We will be inviting AMVD (our former, beloved associate master!) to join us.
· Senior toast is happening soon.
· We will have a budget of ~$30,000 for SCC. Much of that money will be spent on student activities, study breaks, and trips. Start brainstorming ideas – we have some awesome things ahead of us.
Notes from the Dean
· Dean Muller won’t be able to make it so often this semester.
SAC (Saybrook Activities Committee)
· So much in store (tune in for budget proposal).
· October 3: tentative date for Saybrook Screw, will be at Harvest, there might be a professional photographer. Which is also Mean Girls day!
· This Wednesday, from 7 to 9 p.m. in Dwight Hall is the Fall Service bazaar.
· DID YOU KNOW, that the treasurer shall decide the order that the proposals are considered in SCC?
· Saybrook is UNDEFEATED.
· That being said, it’s 1 win and 3 ties.
· That also being said, 3 of those games were against Davenport.
· An online form is being used to keep track of game participation. Will be self updated and used for awards later in the semester.
· The crowd demands an IM board to list scores and the weeks’ games.
· Ryan proposed an importable GCAL.
Saybrook Historical Society Committee
· Six people attended the first SHSC event on Friday.
· Another event will take place not next Friday, but the coming Friday.
· Many know of Say and Sele Day (Baron Say and Sele – one person! Gasp.) Baron Say and Sele and Baron Brook were the two that founded Saybrook, where Yale was before it came to Saybrook.
College Seminar Committee
· We need new heads! Please contact David Kurkovskiy and Jordan Liebman if you can help spearhead the committee this semester.
· Like the SY Sustainability FB page – they’re only a few likes away from 200!
· First meeting will most likely be next week.
· Planning a Weigh Your Waste night to evaluate amount of food waste produced by Saybrook students soon.
· Fun fact: red solo cups are recyclable. Also boxes with 5%+ food wastes are not recyclable.
Dining Hall Committee
· Lots of requests have been coming through.
Yale College Council
· YCC well under way.
· Freshmen vote for YCC reps between Thursday 9 a.m. to Friday at 9 p.m. There are several candidates running.
· Freshmen can also become Associate Members of the YCC.
· Avery will be working on Yale Health Acute Care reform, so if you have nay advice for her, let her know.
Saybrook Baking Club
Saybrook Brew Club
· Budget proposal to come
· A fire drill took place.
· If there is anything that goes wrong or anything you want to know, let Daniel Fischer (d.fischer AT yale DOT edu) know.
· Kyle Skinner was here – he’s a resident fellow in Saybrook, and loves Saybrook so much. Come get to know him! (Did you know that Professor Near was his freshman advisor?)
· Will split $15,000 over each semester.
Total: $20,965 requested and $15,000 to work with: some tough decisions in order.
· 12 pack wants to have all sorts of different events: rock concerts, a cookout, dance lessons, etc. in addition to the regular events they have been organizing (a few of which already took place).
· Asking for only $3,500.
· Master Near proposed started with an initial lower amount for the 12-packing and asking money for special events from the rolling fund.
· $2200 allocated
· Bringing it down to $10,000.
· Study breaks, one in particular to introduce Saybrook to graduate fellows. Study breaks are $1,580. Biggest event for Fall is Saybrook Screw, saving at least $600 at Harvest.
· Apple picking, Oktoberfest, etc.
· Harvard-Yale Tailgate will be catered (~$1000+)
· Viva’s Night or something in that vein.
· Winter Ball as well.
· $9500 allocated
Baking Club: $240
· Same amount as last semester, and worked very well.
· $240 allocated.
Operations Budget: $600
· Food for meetings every other week.
· $600 allocated.
$2000 for froyo machine in the common room (Rolando)
· $0 allocated.
Steven requested $250 for pretty Christmas light decorations
· Lights from the windows of Vandy last year, they want to recreate it for Saybrook.
· $250 allocated.
$600 for regular game night in Saybrook (Ariel and Francis)
· Steam games, games inspired by The Walking Dead, etc.
· Official game nights for Saybrook.
· $400 allocated.
Aadi is requesting $400 for the Brew Club
· $350 allocated
$2000 Community Service Project (Chunyang)
· Freshmen, sophomore, juniors, seniors would hang out, do community service for a weekend, and would be treated to a dinner afterwards.
· Asking for $1000 instead.
· $800 allocated.